"I skate to where the puck is going, not where it has been." Wayne Gretzky
Great quote from a great athlete.
What does this have to do with career transition? Everything!
For this great advice to work you have to know where the puck (your career) is going.
How do you know that? Two key things:
1. Get prepared.
- Learn the basics, the positions, their purpose, how they interact.
- Learn about offense, defense, and game strategy.
- Learn how to score.
- Learn the rules of the game. Study them. Apply them.
- Learn what will get you in the penalty box, and when going there is a risk worth taking.
- ID what equipment you need. Get it. Learn how to use it.
- Get a coach.
- Join a team.
- Practice, Practice, Practice. Push beyond your comfort zone.
2. Be on the ice.
- Be 'present' for the game.
- Stay situationally aware.
- Be agile
- Take assertive action to seize opportunities - go to where the puck will be.
Be well my friends. Keep up the fire.